Chess is a centuries-old, favorite strategy game for good reason: while it’s fairly easy to learn, this simulated war game grows along with the players’ capabilities. Whether you’re an absolute beginner or ranked player, there’s a Chess app to suit you.
AI Factory Limited Chess Free (4.5/5 stars, currently FREE) is a great option for beginners. From Amazon:
— 12 play levels (Novice->Expert)
This uses intelligent weakening for lower levels. Good for beginners.
— Chess Tutor
This option shows a recommended piece to move. This will help you think about how you should play without telling you exactly what move to make. This is good for developing chess skill while also helping you avoid simple mistakes.
— Casual and Pro modes (NEW!)
Two different play modes allow you to choose how much help the game gives you, and stats are kept separate for both.
— Uses Treebeard Chess engine
(as used in Microsoft’s MSN Chess). This has a unique “human-like” style.
— “Show CPU Thinking” option for level 3+
A unique feature, great for learning chess. This shows which moves the AI is considering.
— Chess Stats, Timers, Hints and Handicaps
Track your career history against each level and improve your rating
— Provides ELO Rating based on your results against CPU in Pro Mode (NEW!)
— 2 player hot-seat
Play against your friends!
— 8 Chess Boards and 7 Chess Piece Sets
— Review game mode
Step back through your game and see how you won!
— Load/Save game files & PGN Export
— Designed for both Tablet and Phone
Landscape mode available for tablets. (NEW!)
More experienced players don’t need all the training bells and whistles may prefer Optime Software Chess Free (4/5 stars, currently FREE). From Amazon:
Are you tired of playing chess games that look like they were designed for a Commodore 64 instead of today’s smartphones?
Here’s got the antidote for you.
Chess Free is the best looking chess game available for Android, and best of all – it’s free!
Chess Free supports both 1 player and 2 player gameplay, so you can play against friends or test your skills against a challenging computer opponent.
Chess Free offers a host of exciting features, including:
* Great graphics and exciting sound effects
* Configurable player names and score tracking
* Outstanding AI engine with configurable difficulty level
* Board rotation for two player games
* Undo function
* Automatic save when you get a phone call or exit the application
Chess With Friends Free (4/5 stars, currently FREE) is for players who want to match wits with their real-life friends. From Amazon:
Take no prisoners and protect your King at all costs! Brought to you by the makers of Words with Friends, Chess with Friends Free is the best way to play the classic Chess board game on Android.
Connect with friends and challenge them to one of the oldest, most popular strategy games in the world. Play multiple games at the same time, track your moves and improve your stats.
Download Chess with Friends Free and start playing the most social chess game today!
• CONNECT with Facebook to play family and friends, or find and challenge a random opponent.
• TRACK your record, skill rating, and head-to-head stats to improve your game play .
• SIZE UP your opponent by viewing their matches and stats on their profile.
• PRACTICE MODE – Choose your skill level, train your brain, and learn new tactics by challenging Chesster the Chess coach. Play him online or offline to sharpen your skills.
• RELIVE the glory by replaying moves on the board in existing and past games.
• ENCOURAGE, boast or taunt your opponent with in-game chat.
• PLAY multiple chess games at once across Android and iOS.
Shredder Chess (4.5/5 stars, currently priced at $7.99) is the app of choice for the serious Chess player. From Amazon:
Get the most successful chess program ever. Have fun and improve your play. You can play against Shredder, analyze with him and solve chess puzzles. It offers the usual Shredder standard for your pocket.
In addition to the outstanding playing strength of the 17 times computer chess world champion, Shredder is also able to mimic the play of a human chess player with any playing strength. He even deliberately makes typical human mistakes in those levels.
Solve 1000 built in chess puzzles. Shredder keeps track of your performance and offers advice if needed.
You can adjust Shredder’s playing strength from beginner to master level. If you like, Shredder automatically adjusts his strength to yours. He even calculates an Elo rating for you. This is how the playing strength of chess players is typically measured.
During the game a coach is watching your moves and warns you if you are about to make a mistake.
See how you are getting better and better the more games you play and the more chess puzzles you solve.
Works fine on mobile phones and tablets.
* Adjustable playing strength
* Intuitive and very easy to operate
* 1000 built in chess puzzles
* Rates your play
* Outstanding playing strength
* Simulates opponent of any strength
* Analyse your games with Shredder, find your mistakes and improve your play
* Coach shows your mistakes
* Great variety with built-in opening book
* Enter and analyze any position you like
* Load and save games (incl. names, date, etc.)
* Import and export games in PGN format
* Many different chess boards and pieces
* Play blindfolded
* Improve your play whenever and wherever you like
* * *
Tech Tip of the Week: Turn Off This Invasive Facebook App Feature
* * *