Osmos HD (4.5/5 stars, all ages, normally priced at $2.99) is a very unusual casual puzzle game app, and it’s today’s Amazon Free App of the Day. From Amazon:
Enter the Darwinian world of a galactic mote. To survive, absorb smaller organisms and grow—but beware of larger predators! Winner of multiple “Game of the Year” awards, Osmos features unique physics-based play, stellar graphics, and a hypnotic soundtrack of ambient electronica. Absorb, or be absorbed.
“The ultimate ambient experience” — Gizmodo
“The best iPad game yet.” — IGN
you must grow by absorbing smaller motes, but to propel yourself you must eject matter behind you, causing you to shrink. From this delicate balance, Osmos HD leads the player through floating playgrounds, competitive petri dishes, deep solar systems, and more.
“Named as iPad Game of the Year for a reason, Osmos HD is a fantastic game. A combination of physics, survival and classic eat em up”
* Winner of multiple “Game of the Year” and “Editor’s Choice” awards, including awards from Google, Wired, Apple, IGN, MacWorld, TUAW, 148Apps, Create Digital Music, and more.
* Nominated for 4 IGF awards and winner of the “Vision” award.
* Winner of “Best in Show” and “Fun/Compelling” at IndieCade.
* Many top lists including Kotaku, PAX, TouchArcade, iLoungs, APPera, IFC, and more.
* 72 levels spanning 8 distinct worlds: Ambient, Antimatter, Solar, Sentient, Repulsor, Impasse, Warped Chaos, and Epicycles.
* Award-winning electronic soundtrack by Loscil, Gas, High Skies, Biosphere, Julien Neto, and more.
* Seamlesss multitouch controls: swipe to warp time, tap anywhere to eject mass, pinch to zoom…
* Endless replay value: play random versions of any level in Arcade mode.
* Time-warping: slow down the flow of time to outmaneuver agile opponents; speed it up to raise the challenge.
* Confront four distinct AI opponents: the Ovarium, the Biophobe, the Nemocyte… and the deadly Ferax.
* 13 achievements to earn, with GameCircle integration.
* 4/4, Must Have – “We are more than overwhelmed by Osmos… The game design is thoughtful and intuitive, new level structures are flawless, and the visuals are stunning yet simplistic… You just won’t find another experience quite like it.”
-Slide To Play
* 5/5 stars – Macworld Editor’s Choice – “One of the best games we’ve played so far this year. An utterly serene, yet fiendishly complicated game…”
* “Osmos is a must-play…”
– MTV Multiplayer
Osmos HD: get it today, while it’s the Amazon Free App of the Day!